Oof–where to even start when blank “tell a bit about yourself” sections give you a panic attack? And also that telling any story or describing anything usually leads to a ramble that leaves people wishing they never asked to begin with and/or making a mental note to avoid you in the future because obviously you have no filter and are awkward and tend towards way TMI. I guess maybe bullets are a good idea, both in terms of me getting this page written and conveying only the information a blog “about” section should include instead of every detail about me over the history of my 52+ years on the earth.
- I’ve been blogging for more than 15 years and still can’t quit even though blogs aren’t really a thing anymore. I started blogging because I love writing and also just wanted a place to express myself and a creative outlet. Personal blogging led to business blogging, which led to a career in social media and online community management starting back in 2008. I still occasionally blog on my mostly business blog, Mizz Information, but after 10+ years there I kind of feel that I’ve moved to a new phase of life/career and wanted a fresh space to express my current self.
- I originally started Chic n’ Geek in 2013, and kept it up until 2017. A few months ago I was like “I should just restart Chic n’ Geek” but wanted a fresh look….which sent me down the ADHD rabbit hole redesigning the logo (um, I’m not a graphic designer), the theme and just getting so overwhelmed in the weeds that I deleted all the old content (I can’t even remember why; here’s the archived site if you’re curious) and have driven myself half insane trying to figure out why I didn’t just leave well enough alone to begin with. Apparently COVID isolation + ADHD are either fantastic together or a nightmare…or I guess both. Anyway, the result is this new, fancier Chic n’ Geek that is still a work in progress.
- I’ve been “doing” social media professionally since 2009 and have a love/hate relationship with it, which, tbh, makes it weird to be starting a new blog. On one hand, I still pine for the pre-pay-to-play social media years, back when “online communities” were not Facebook groups and where I met many friends who turned into IRL friends. I guess having spent so many years where social media was my job dulled the allure of social media–being privy to the not-airbrushed part of social media made me more jaded than I already naturally am. But at the same time, maybe not, because here I still am–five months in to fussing over this blog for some reason, not being able to just walk away from a project that has become so much work (why didn’t I just stick with the old theme already?!!) that my original excitement of creating a new, fun space to (hopefully) connect with people has turned into dread as I sweat every detail of getting this thing launched and wonder what the hell I’m even going to write about. Apparently I don’t really hate social media after all because here I am : ).
- I’m a mom of two (adult) kids, two shorty Jack Russell terriers and two Persian cats. I’m still getting used to life after my kids have moved out and into the world–COVID has definitely not made that part of life easier.
- Ok, this is now getting into the “every detail about me” weeds so I’ll stop. Gold star if you made it this far!